Here’s another long overdue FO. Remember my snowflake vest?
Well, I finished it, and I love it. I knit it as close to the original as possible, except for making the snowflakes slightly smaller and using worsted weight yarn rather than what looks like bulky in the original pictures.
The Cascade 220 I chose for the project worked perfectly for this project. The yarn is woolly, but still reasonably soft, and the colourwork looks nice and crisp in the lovely solid colours.
However, the colourwork didn’t work out quite expected. I was planning to do stranded colourwork, but I completely forgot about things like floats. Since I wasn’t up for perfecting my non-existant intarsia skills, i ended up doing the whole thing using duplicate stitch. It wasn’t the most elegant method, but it worked out really well.
While I love the pockets, I think my favourite details is the squishy garter collar. I improvised this after studying the pictures of the original, and I think I may borrow it for future designs.
The only thing that didn’t work out really well is the zipper. It’s slightly too long, which makes it bunch up when I zip it up and hang lower in the front when I leave it open. It’s not the end of the world, but if I work up the energy, I may repace it at some point.
Overall though, I’m very happy with this project. Although I came up with my own pattern for this vest, I won’t be publishing a pattern since it’s not really my design. I think I’ve picture-spammed you all enough, but as always there’s more on Ravelry.